Macrame

Seeing as Macrame is very in fashion right now I thought I would give it a go. Everywhere you look at the minute there are Shamballa bracelets and necklaces. In a well known high street jewellers I have seen them retailing at £69 going all the way up to £145. Well I don't know about you but I think this is ridiculous for a bracelet.
Macrame is just a form of knotting, there are different style of knot, such as the box or spiral. I don't own any shamballa beads but learning the technique for this style of jewellery may come in handy one day.
So last week I brought some bootlace cord to work to attempt macrame on my lunch break. I have heard a few people say they can't do it because they just can't get their heads around it. Knowing how I get I did think I would be the same.
My first attempt didn't go so well, so I undid everything and decided to have a shot at a spiral macrame bracelet. The picture below is not the finished product, as I now don't have enough cord to finish it off, but I will be soon. I may even see if I can add a few beads for decoration as at the moment it looks rather plain.



Well next after realising I didn't have quite enough to make a whole bracelet and after deciding I wanted to attempt a box style macrame too I made the one pictured below. Typical me, I kept getting confused as to which side of the design I was working on so instead of it taking half an hour it took me all afternoon to make. Again this one isn't finished as I don't have enough cord to make the sliding knot. I did find an old button though and thought that it would give it a bit more 'umph' if you know what I mean.

I understand why people love Macrame now, it is very relaxing and it is very addictive. Now all I need to do is buy more cord, but there are other techniques I would like to try with leather cord too.

I don't really want to do Shamballa bracelets so think I may incorporate this into the Gothic designs I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment